June 29, 2010

This morning the song, Hey Good Looking by Hank William's came on. It sparked my memories, of Grandma Lela saying that was a song Grandpa Ralph, her husband, would often sing to her. He was very musically inclined. He played the fiddle and many other instruments, often all night long at barn dances. However, grandma Lela's favorite instrument was the harp. She loved to listen to the harp.

Our cousin Timsley Johnny Carver, once told me, when we were in the Harrison Cemetery at Grandpa Ralph's and Timsley's father, Archie's, oldeer sister, Vesty's, funeral, that Grandpa Ralph was his favorite uncle. He knew there would be singing and fiddle playing at night, and catfish for breakfast when ever he spent the night with them. He said grandpa was so much fun.

I remember pictures of Grandma Lela, and her sisters wearing dresses, and pearls on the banks of a river cleaning fish their husbands had caught. I so wish I had those pictures.

I began to tell my daughter, Lela, stories of her grandma she was named after. She keeps wanting to know more. So I'm sure there will be more stories and sayings to come soon.

No comments: